Advice For Travellers

How will Brexit affect my holiday?

Whether you’ve already booked your holiday or you’re just thinking about planning your next getaway, you’re probably wondering what Brexit will mean for your break. Here, we’ve rounded up everything you need to know about holidays after Brexit.


Please bookmark this section for the latest updates.



When you've been in business as long as we have, you gain invaluable knowledge and experience, overcoming new and unexpected challenges and adapting to the changing world around us.


By booking your holiday with Dawson & Sanderson, you can rest assured knowing you have an expert team behind you to help whenever you need us. As we have done for the last 56 years, we will continue to deliver holidays and service beyond expectations.


Should I be concerned about my holiday with the uncertainty surrounding Brexit?

We understand you may be anxious to find out more about what may happen with Brexit, to help you plan your holiday. The good thing to know is that the European Commission has said that planes leaving from the UK will still be allowed to fly over the territory of the European Union, even in a no-deal scenario. So you can rest assured that your flight should still go ahead as planned. Our partners are committed to operating holidays to all of their wonderful destinations, including those within the EU, so you can still book holidays with us in confidence.


Will flights still operate?

Regardless of the Brexit outcome, planes will still be able to fly between the UK and the EU. When and if a deal is agreed, we’ll enter a transition period, meaning everything will stay as it is until the end of December 2020 and flights will continue as normal. Even in the case of a no-deal scenario, the European Commission and UK government have said that UK airlines will still be able to operate flights between the UK and the EU. The UK government has also agreed that airlines operating out of the EU will be able to fly into the UK.


Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

You shouldn’t need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit. The European Commission announced in November 2018 that, even in a no-deal scenario, UK travellers will still be able to visit the EU without a visa, providing the same is offered to European citizens visiting the UK. The European Commission has also said that from 2021, UK citizens will need to pay a fee – of around seven euros – for this visa exemption. This is part of a new electronic travel authorisation system, which applies to all third country visitors to the EU – it’s similar to the ESTA Visa Waiver Programme that the USA has.


What happens if I book to travel after 31st October 2019 and my holiday cannot go ahead due to Brexit?

There is nothing to suggest that you won’t be able to continue with your holiday plans after 31st October. Even in a no-deal scenario, the European Commission and UK government have said flights to and from the UK will still be able to operate. Customers who book a package holiday with a UK travel company can relax knowing that they’ve got the most comprehensive protection as a consumer. If you book a package, your holiday will be protected under the Package Travel Regulations, meaning you’ll have the right to a full refund if your holiday can no longer be provided.


Will I need a new Passport? 

If the UK leaves the EU with No Deal, your passport validity may change. Please ensure your passport is still valid before you travel to any EU country after 31st October 2019.


1. You will need to make sure you have at least 6 months left on your passport after your departure date, in the event of a No Deal Brexit. This applies to both Adult and Child passports.


2. If you renewed your passport before the last one expired, extra months will have been added to your current passport. These extra months may not count towards the 6 months required to travel to a European destination.


Remember: your passport validity is your responsibility. You won't be able to travel with an expired passport. Regardless of the printed Date of Expiry, please double check your passport validity now. 


It takes less than a minute:


Should I take out travel insurance to cover Brexit?

The best way to protect your holiday is to book a package – it is the travel provider’s responsibility to make sure your holiday is provided and to offer an alternative or refund if it cannot be delivered.  


It is important that whenever and wherever you travel that you have adequate travel insurance which covers your specific needs, including any known medical conditions or activities you plan to do. It is also worth checking the detail of the policy around travel disruption including delays or cancellations as policies do vary.


Driving Licences & Car Insurance

As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU. This is likely to change in a no-deal scenario. UK travellers looking to drive in the EU on or after 31st October 2019 may need to apply for the relevant International Driving Permit.


These cost £5.50 and are available directly from the Post Office. The Government has extended the network of Post Offices where you can apply for an International Driving Permit, find your nearest branch here


Check carefully which permit is required for each country you intend to drive within, as you may need more than one permit to comply with the law.


You need to make sure you have your International Driving Permit before you travel from the UK as you will not be able to apply for this when you are in the EU.


More information is available here


If the UK leaves without a deal, UK citizens driving their vehicle within the EU would be required to obtain and carry a physical Green Card in order for your UK car insurance to be applicable in the EU. These cards would be issued by insurers and you may be charged a small fee to cover administration costs.


Speak with your insurer for more information on obtaining a Green Card for any trip on or after 31st October 2019.


The ABI – the trade body for the insurance industry – recommends you contact your car insurance company at least one month in advance of travelling.


Taking pets abroad

In the event of a no-deal, pets would continue to be able to travel from the UK to the EU, but the requirements for documents and health checks would change. If you wish to take your pet to the EU on or after 31st October 2019 pet owners would need to discuss preparations for their pet’s travel with an Official Veterinarian at least four months in advance of the date they wish to travel. Pet owners should keep an eye out for any further instructions issued by the UK Government.


More information is available here.


Data roaming

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK. If the UK leaves without a deal these rules will no longer apply – however, some UK companies have said they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers. Before you travel, check with your mobile phone provider about the costs of using your phone in the EU.


Please bookmark this section for the latest updates.


General Advice on Staying Safe & Healthy Abroad

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office and National Travel Health Network and Centre have up-to-date advice on staying safe and healthy abroad. For more on security, local laws, plus passport and visa information, please see the government's website:

Advice can change, so check regularly for updates before travelling.


Hand luggage restrictions for certain flights to UK

Laptops, tablets and some large mobile phones are not allowed in hand luggage on flights from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan & Tunisia. To find out more, visit the Gov UK website